Click on the picture to hear the wav sound.
NOTE: RC AIRPLANES ARE ON THE BOTTOM HALF OF THE PAGE.
The Chengdu J-10 is China's most advanced multi-role jet fighter aircraft.
The origin of the aircraft traces back to 1988 when the Chinese Air Force requested a dedicated air superiority fighter to replace its aging fleet. Chengdu responded in 1993 with the new aircraft.
Wind tunnel performance of the J-10 prototype uncovered sub standard performance at lower aircraft maneuvering speeds. It was during this testing phase that the aircraft requirements were changed from air superiority to multi-role. As one would expect, this change required that major modifications be made to the aircraft.
The prototype first took to the air on March 28, 1998. The first pre-production aircraft flew on June 28, 2002. Deployment took place in January of 2003.
With the success of the fighter aircraft program, construction of a two seat training aircraft began in mid 2003.
Chengdu continues upgrading their aircraft with provisions for a thrust vectoring engine, additional ordnance, and more advanced avionics and radar.
We are told that the radar system of the J-10 will detect the radar signature of hostile aircraft at distances of over 275 miles. It will lock missiles on aircraft targets at distances of over 135 miles. Electronic counter measures will analyze the radar signature of an enemy aircraft and disrupt it. The system will be incorporated into a computer that collects the information from the radar, locates electronic emission sources, determines their classifications, and warns the pilot of any potential threats.
It is estimated that about 210 Chengdu J-10 aircraft are currently in service with the Chinese Air Force with anticipated deployment of additional aircraft. Pakistan is expected to begin receiving their initial deliveries of their purchase of 36 J-10 aircraft in 2014.
The Chengdu J-10 is being offered for international export. Its capabilities appear similar to the U.S. F-16, but at about half the cost.
1. GWS Chengdu J-10 rc airplane.
1. RC Chengdu J10 for sale from GWS. Wingspan is 27". Length is 44". It comes with a BL2815-2 motor turning a GWS EDF 75 unit. All up weight is 31 oz.
2. - 3. Aero-Dreamworks rc Chengdu J-10. It has a wingspan of 25". A pusher prop drives it. It is made primarily from Depron foam. Weight is 20 oz.
4. 1/72 scale Chengdu J-10 model airplane from a Trumpeter Models kit. Wing span is 5.125" and length is 8.875". Kit contains 99 pieces and has decals for two versions.
2. RC Chengdu J-10.
3. Aero-Dreamworks crew with RC J-10.
4. 1/72 scale Chengdu J-10 model.